Friday, August 9, 2013

The Evolution of My Style

I'm not one to follow celebrities or talk about what the next trend is.....but, when it comes to fashion and clothing, I definitely have an opinion.

So, why am I even writing about this stuff? Well, I was surfing the web and decided to look up fashion blogs for 40 year olds. What did I find? A nice splattering of blogs, but nothing that spoke to me and my style....

Are you curious as to what my fashion picks would be for a mature woman who isn't dead and over the hill.....(yes, women over 40 do have a pulse and we can still turn heads.....in a good way)? Check out my Pinterest page and let me know your thoughts. 

I'm no fashion guru in any sense, but I have a pretty good sense on what looks good on me and how to pair my outfits with accessories to complete the look.

This, however, was not always the case.

Yup, I admit it, I've been around the block when it comes to fashion. I just couldn't find that perfect fit. I went from Punk to Preppy, from the Cuties look to Mommy Mode and still wasn't satisfied. It has taken me almost forty years on this planet to figure out my "style" (and still it's evolving everyday).

To put it simply, I would categorize myself as a Classic Modern Edge type of girl.

I love the boldness of the Punk era, the classic restraint of the Preppies, the freshness of the Cuties look and the comfort of the mommy attire. Put it all together and voila...... ME!

My day to day wear is pretty relaxed and simple, but whenever I get a chance to dress up and look nice....I'm jumping for joy!

Whether I'm heading to a Black Tie event or just an evening out with my friends, there are a few things that I run through my head to make sure all's good.

Here are a few things that are on my check list when it comes to dressing for an occasion.
  1. Outfit - This not only has to fit the occasion, but it has to make me smile. I will only buy an outfit if, when I put it on, it makes me smile and think - wow!
  2. Shoes - The type of footwear I choose, is of course, determined by the outfit and the occasion.... but, I usually opt for a beautiful pair of heels. Anyone who knows me, knows I love stilettos. (Once a year I will splurge and get myself a pair of classic heels that will last for seasons to come.)
  3. Jewelry - An outfit isn't quite complete without a little jewel to finish it off. This can range from a simple thin bracelet to a statement necklace.
  4. Clutch - To be honest, I usually skip this and throw everything into my husbands suit pocket, but when he isn't around, I will grab a bag/clutch/purse that compliments the overall feel and look I'm going for.
  5. Make-up - Hello! I'm forty-three....not looking as fresh as I once did. Still, I keep it simple and effortless.
  6. Perfume - Call my crazy, but I can't leave the house without my perfume on. This happened once and it drove me crazy. I also feel that it's important to have a signature scent.....it took me a whole year to find the perfect one for me.

This is my signature perfume....gotta love Vera Wang


Well, I'm off.....I need to get out of my pjs, which has recently been my daily attire....I've been stuck at home doing who knows what, but today I'm going out!


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be posted after moderation.

Leave me a note! I love reading your thoughts.