Saturday, February 11, 2017

Saturday Morning Epiphany

I just poured myself a nice cup of coffee and sliced up a piece of Buttermilk Banana and Blueberry Bread that I made last night. Yummmmy!!! And I'm going to sit down and get some reading done....that is after I post this. *snicker




This morning, as I was lying in bed, I watched a short video about books and reading. We all know.... at least I hope we do, that reading is the gateway to success. It expands our minds in so many ways, challenging us to reach deep into ourselves as well as pushing us to step out into the unknown. Now, I have always been a strong proponent of reading, but as a practitioner??

I am probably the worst! Yes, I'll admit it. I am the worst!

I am so impressed by the sheer number of books that successful people read in a day let alone a week, month or a year. So, upon some reflection on my own life.... I need to do better. 

I'm embarrassed to say that I have not read enough books. It's quite sad honestly.... I tell my daughter that I don't have time, yet I am able to find time to read news snippets on Facebook and the Internet. So, my goal this year is to read more. I'm going to increase the number of books I read in a month as well as stretch myself and venture into other genres. But where to start?

Well...... 

I have found it quite ironic that our current president, who is not an avid reader has actually inspired more people to pick up a book (i.e. 1984, The Handmaid's Tale)..... Unbeknownst to him, he has actually started a nationwide, perhaps worldwide, book club for those that are still grappling with the results of this election and the direction of the administration. If you are curious about some of the books that have been revived, take a look at the Literary Hub. In the future, I will most likely be looking to our current state of the Union to help me find a new book to read.... Until then, I already have a few in mind.






Since it's already on my TBR shelf, I will be tackling Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man as well as finishing up The Wars of the Roses by Alison Weir.  As you can see from the picture below, when reading Alison's book, I have to printout a family tree to keep all the names straight for my journey into English history, which I love to study, but really......why is it that everyone had to be named Henry, Mary or John!!!



What book do you recommend? What has inspired you this year? And don't you just love my chaise lounge.....I love purple!


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be posted after moderation.

Leave me a note! I love reading your thoughts.